January 30, 2013

Feeling Discouraged.

I've done at least 10 hours per week of job hunting since we got here in October. I landed ONE job that lasted precisely ONE week before they decided they had asked for the wrong skill set and I was let go.

(Honestly, I think they were discriminating against me based on my religion. Some pieces to that puzzle fit, however, there's no way I'll ever be able to prove it.)

There's lots of jobs between here and Jacksonville. A lot! Too bad for me they're nearly ALL in the medical field. Something I'm not remotely qualified in nor could I BS my way through.

I'm quite honestly running out of stuff to apply for. I've resorted to applying to minimum-wage jobs like CVS and Dollar General...just to have SOME kind of second income in the house. I'm probably stupidly over qualified for them, but I need something to do. I love reading, sewing, blogging, and baking, but I need some human interaction once in a while. Even if interacting with strangers usually leaves me frustrated and grumpy.

Every other day I open my folder of job hunting sites and flip through the pages, looking for something...ANYTHING...to apply for. Out of the 10 hours per week, I'd say I actually find something to apply for maybe once per hour. And after I read through the job description more thoroughly, some of THOSE get tossed too.

It's just frustrating to want to contribute financially to my household and not be able to.

The only ideas I've come up with are freelance work for writing or data entry, sewing commissions, dog walking/care, Amazon's MTurk and tutoring online. And even then, I'm not sure if any of those will actually produce anything other than disappointment. I made about 15 dollars so far with MTurk, but the hits are few and far between that are worth my time.

Sigh. At least it's gorgeous outside today...even though I finally broke down and turn the central air on. The breeze is great, but unfortunately the wind is coming from the wrong direction to have open windows be useful. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment