February 1, 2013

Fast quilts, halfway boxes, and Friday fill-ins, oh my!

That title was more clever the first time I read it. Less so the more I stare at it. Oh well. Screw it.

Where to start...

Well, Ax wanted a blanket to take onboard with him since subs are apparently awfully cold. Especially in berthing. I don't understand why exactly, but he knows best. So I started whipping up a quick quilt for him. He has to leave soon so this has to be FAST. 

I had some wool that my grandma gave me..it's imported. I have no idea from where, but regardless,  it looks nice and warm! Then I have these colors to go with, since the wool is a dark blue color. To make it piece together fast, the wool is cut into 10" squares; then I have some 5" squares of the above, and finally the 2.5" ones in the picture. Sew (more like applique, but who cares?) the 5 onto the 10, then the 2.5 onto the 5....ta-da! A block done. I don't think I have enough of the wool, so I'm just gonna go as far as I can with what I have cut and then figure it out. I bought spray-baste to help move it along!

Since subs are tiny spaces, and Ax only has a small rack to store his belongings, the batting for this is going to be two fleece throws that I picked up at walmart. I'll have to sew them end-to-end to get the length, I think. I may pick up two more for the backing; I haven't decided yet. I have to get the front done first!!


Ax also gets to take a halfway-box with him on the boat. Each guy can have one shoebox of halfway goodies that they bust out halfway through the deployment. Right now I only have a shoebox that a pair of flats came in, so adding stuff from Ax's family may prove challenging. That said, here's a quick tour of his goodies:

A card to open that night, and some tins of Skoal. While we both think it's gross, lots of the guys use it and Ax can use the tins as a bartering tool or something. I dunno. I don't know a damned thing about tobacco so I have no idea if any of the guys will actually use the type I picked out. I figure if they're desperate enough to have their fix, they won't complain. ;)

Another card to open later on. A box of crayons, one of those itty-bitty Lego sets with the directions, a coloring set consisting of a few tiny markers (hence the extra crayons..) and coloring pages from Cars. Chapstick, as I have the feeling it's gonna be awfully dry on the sub.

Some gum for those who don't use tobacco but still need an oral fix. Ha. Swedish Fish, cherry Twizzlers, AAA batteries (for his alarm clock!), a bag of almonds, and a bag of peanuts.

Ax is a sucker for Oreos. I'm sneaking the rest of the mini-packages into his backpack. Hahaha.

A pile of Wint-o-green Lifesavers. I've found that they're awesome for dry throats, stuffy noses, and slight nausea (which mint is supposed to help relieve anyway). If nothing else, they could be makeshift poker chips. LOL.

And somehow, I have fit it all into this box which used to hold scrap fabric. I'm hoping I can find a regular-sized shoebox; then I know the Oreos won't get as squished.

I still haven't decided how I want to decorate it though. Hum.

On a different note ENTIRELY, here's a Friday Fill-In, courtesy of Wife of a Sailor!

1. What’s one thing in the past month you would have changed?
Being locked out of the house and the lacking money thing. That was just ridiculous. Ugh.
2. What was your favorite thing that happened in January? 
Hm. I don't know. Just spending time with Ax, really.
3. What are you looking forward to in February?
Our one-year anniversary is in a few days; after that just looking forward to getting this damned deployment started already! The waiting seems to be worse than actually having him gone!
4. What are your plans for Valentine’s Day?
I think we might combine it with our anniversary (they're like two days apart), so in that case just a fancy dinner out someplace. Probably some cake. Spending time together before deployment!
5. What is your best advice for a MilSpouse whose spouse is deployed for Valentine’s Day?
Can't offer much here because this is my first deployment; I will say that sitting around moping won't help you any. If you guys actually celebrate Valentine's Day, go out and do something silly for yourself! Buy yourself a bunch of fake (or real!) roses. Eat an obscene amount of chocolate. Get a manicure, or whatever your treat to yourself is. Lounge around in sweats all day if you want! Don't forget about your spouse...if it's possible to call or email them, do so! I'm sure they're busy but I'm sure they're thinking of you!



And with that, now Simon and I must go for a walk before I lose my feet from him chewing on them. ahahah.

2 comments:

  1. I remember doing all this stuff as a sub wife, but that was many years ago (like 25). Nowadays ya'll have email, I had 8 familygrams of 20 words. Cold because of metal in COLD water, made my ex a quilt for his bunk. Now I'm a postal worker and I deliver mail in housing on Saturdays. Just give a shout if you ever have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he's got wool, fleece, and a flannel backing...and he's already a furnace. If this doesn't keep him warm then nothing will!!

    Thanks! Will do. :)

    ReplyDelete